Here I am going to show how to use an iPhone (with the new os 5.1.1) on Net10′s pay as you go network, with full unlimited talk, text and web for only $45 a month. I have wrestled with this for the last week… and the following tutorial will help anyone else in the same position.
Here are the steps I am going to outline:
1. Restore your iPhone to factory defaults (while updating the os).
2. Jailbreak your phone with redsn0w 09.14b2
3. Unlock your iPhone with ultrasnOw 1.2.7 and ultrasn0w fixer for 5.1.1
4. Make available your APN settings to configure for Net10
5. Make sure you can receive AND SEND mms messages via the SMS service center settings.
This will be a complete tutorial for setting an iPhone to factory settings and jailbreaking, unlocking, and using the iPhone with os 5.1.1 on the Net10 pay as you go network.
You will also need a PROVISIONED sim card from Net10. You can call them and order a card for around $15. (1-877-836-2368)
The first step is restoring the iPhone to factory defaults, and installing the new os 5.1.1
1. Connect your iPhone to iTunes. Once recognized, click the button to “Backup”.
2. Next, click the button to “Restore”.
3. iTunes will download the current 5.1.1 operating system and install it to your phone.
4. This process will take approximately 10 minutes.
At this time, I am not offering support on how to re-install your existing apps and info. NOTE this is for a complete factory restore of the iPhone.
You will now notice if you try to use your phone, you will get to an activation screen. This screen will NOT progress using the Net10 sim card.
This video will provide a Visual Guide to Jailbreaking your iPhone
The video link above will mention how to install ultrasn0w, which is necessary to unlock the iPhone to work on other carriers. However, before installing ultrasnOw, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO INSTALL THE FIX FIRST.
1. Open Cydia and go into the Manage tab, Sources section, and then click the edit, followed by the add button.
2. Add this url: http://repo.iparelhos.com
3. Now, search Cydia for ultrasn0w fixer for 5.1.1 and install.
4. Next, search Cydia for ultrasn0w and install.
This will install the substrates necessary to unlock the iPhone.
Here is where I spent most of my time figuring out the solution. The APN settings will need to be changed in order for all services to function correctly.
1. Go to the iPhone settings -> general -> network -> cellular data network.
2. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE the cellular data network tab; you need to install TetherMe… go to step 2b.
Open Cydia and search for TetherMe APN Editing and install. This will restore the Cellular Data Network tab. (see note below)
3. Now, enter the details below (for Net10 only; for other carriers use Google):
MMS Prozy: mms2.tracfone.com:80
MMS Max Message Size: 1048576
MMS UA Prof URL:
Double check and make sure all details are entered correctly.
Now, insert your SIM card and see if your service is working correctly. At this point everything was working correctly for me EXCEPT being able to SEND text messages. I could receive messages just fine… but could NOT send them.
Here is the fix if you are unable to send text or mms messages:
1. Type this into your dialing pad *#5005*7672# and press “call”.
2. You will get a message similar to this:
Setting Interrogation Succeeded
Service Center Address
3. Now, call Net10 (phone number above) and ask them if your number matches what it should be. Most likely it will not, and they will provide you with the correct number.
4. Next, you will need to update your device with the new, correct number.
5. Enter this into your dialer and press call: **5005*7672*SMSCNUMBER# where SMSCNUMBER is the new number you received from Net10. Remember to include the + symbol before the number. You can do this by holding the “0″ button on the keypad.
6. If done correctly, you will see this message:
Service Center Address
7. Lastly, confirm you have the correct number saved by entering *#5005*7672# into the dialer and pressing “call”.
This will link your device to the correct SMS Service Number and will restore being able to send messages.
Now, sit back and enjoy your new service with all the same features as premium providers for a fraction of the cost!!
This guide is certainly not all-encompassing and only includes directions for Net10 (although other service providers will be very similar). Please leave any comments below to help others who might be experiencing similar issues. Also, I will help respond to any questions.