iPhone 4G/3G/3GS os5.1.1 on Net10 Network

Overview

Here I am going to show how to use an iPhone (with the new os 5.1.1) on Net10’s pay as you go network, with full unlimited talk, text and web for only $45 a month. I have wrestled with this for the last week… and the following tutorial will help anyone else in the same position.

Here are the steps I am going to outline:

1. Restore your iPhone to factory defaults (while updating the os).
2. Jailbreak your phone with redsn0w 09.14b2
3. Unlock your iPhone with ultrasnOw 1.2.7 and ultrasn0w fixer for 5.1.1
4. Make available your APN settings to configure for Net10
5. Make sure you can receive AND SEND mms messages via the SMS service center settings.

This will be a complete tutorial for setting an iPhone to factory settings and jailbreaking, unlocking, and using the iPhone with os 5.1.1 on the Net10 pay as you go network.

You will also need a PROVISIONED sim card from Net10. You can call them and order a card for around $15. (1-877-836-2368)
[important]Update: These sim cards can now be purchased at any Best Buy (mobile store or retail store) for $15. It includes both the regular sim and a micro sim.[/important]

Restore iPhone

The first step is restoring the iPhone to factory defaults, and installing the new os 5.1.1

1. Connect your iPhone to iTunes. Once recognized, click the button to “Backup”.
2. Next, click the button to “Restore”.
3. iTunes will download the current 5.1.1 operating system and install it to your phone.
4. This process will take approximately 10 minutes.

At this time, I am not offering support on how to re-install your existing apps and info. NOTE this is for a complete factory restore of the iPhone.

Jailbreak iPhone

You will now notice if you try to use your phone, you will get to an activation screen. This screen will NOT progress using the Net10 sim card.

1. Download redsn0w version 09.14b2 for windows or mac.
2. Extract the software and run the redsn0w application.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to jailbreak your device.

This video will provide a Visual Guide to Jailbreaking your iPhone

Unlock iPhone

The video link above will mention how to install ultrasn0w, which is necessary to unlock the iPhone to work on other carriers. However, before installing ultrasnOw, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO INSTALL THE FIX FIRST.

1. Open Cydia and go into the Manage tab, Sources section, and then click the edit, followed by the add button.
2. Add this url: http://repo.iparelhos.com
3. Now, search Cydia for ultrasn0w fixer for 5.1.1 and install.
4. Next, search Cydia for ultrasn0w and install.

This will install the substrates necessary to unlock the iPhone.

APN Settings

Here is where I spent most of my time figuring out the solution. The APN settings will need to be changed in order for all services to function correctly.

1. Go to the iPhone settings -> general -> network -> cellular data network.
2. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE the cellular data network tab; you need to install TetherMe… go to step 2b.
2b. Open Cydia and search for TetherMe APN Editing and install. This will restore the Cellular Data Network tab.  (see note below)

[important]Update: Apparently the “TetherMe” app from Cydia is now a paid app.  So, instead, you should be able to find “TetherMe” by installing the ‘cydia.xsellize.com/’ source in your cydia. Then, open Cydia and search for “TetherMe”. Make sure it’s the one from the xsellize source.[/important]

[important]Update  08-22-13:  There is a computer software application available which will allow a user to set their APN settings for any Apple device.  It is called the Apple iPhone Configuration Utility.  Scroll to the bottom of the page (in the link), and look for iPhone Configuration Utility.  It can be downloaded for either Mac or PC.  Use it to manually set your APN settings without having to go through the jailbreak process![/important]
3. Now, enter the details below (for Net10 only; for other carriers use Google):

Cellular Data

Username:
Password:
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Prozy: mms2.tracfone.com:80
MMS Max Message Size: 1048576
MMS UA Prof URL:

Double check and make sure all details are entered correctly.

Insert SIM

Now, insert your SIM card and see if your service is working correctly. At this point everything was working correctly for me EXCEPT being able to SEND text messages. I could receive messages just fine… but could NOT send them.

Here is the fix if you are unable to send text or mms messages:

1. Type this into your dialing pad *#5005*7672# and press “call”.
2. You will get a message similar to this:

Setting Interrogation Succeeded
Service Center Address
+8613800100500

3. Now, call Net10 (phone number above) and ask them if your number matches what it should be. Most likely it will not, and they will provide you with the correct number.
4. Next, you will need to update your device with the new, correct number.
5. Enter this into your dialer and press call: **5005*7672*SMSCNUMBER# where SMSCNUMBER is the new number you received from Net10. Remember to include the + symbol before the number. You can do this by holding the “0” button on the keypad.
6. If done correctly, you will see this message:

Setting Succeeded
Service Center Address
No Address

7. Lastly, confirm you have the correct number saved by entering *#5005*7672# into the dialer and pressing “call”.

This will link your device to the correct SMS Service Number and will restore being able to send messages.

Now, sit back and enjoy your new service with all the same features as premium providers for a fraction of the cost!!

Closing Remarks

This guide is certainly not all-encompassing and only includes directions for Net10 (although other service providers will be very similar). Please leave any comments below to help others who might be experiencing similar issues. Also, I will help respond to any questions.

Good Luck!

100 Responses to iPhone 4G/3G/3GS os5.1.1 on Net10 Network

1. Lashay says:

Hi folks, just want to warn you – don’t pay $500 for platinum roulette system,
    you can find it for free, just type in google – platinum roulette system
    – you will find interesting post about this system

2. Great post. I was checking constantly this weblog and I’m
    inspired! Very useful info specially the closing part :) I deal with such info a lot.

I used to be looking for this particular info for a very
    long time. Thanks and best of luck.

3. Enfin, ça me fait marrer tous ceux qui critiquent gameblog et qui ont l’air pourtant bien renseigné sur ce qui s’y passe…Faut un peu se calmer, quand je lis “journalistes pathétiques” je me dis qu’il
    faut arrêter ici de se la jouer ayatollah du JV et de cracher
    sa condescendance à chaque news.

4. Alan says:

Is there a way to do this with the regular pay as you go plan (not unlimited)? I am thinking that if I am at home or work I can connect to the internet with wifi, and not have the data plan. I could not seem to find anything about this, everyone goes straight to the unlimited plans.

• Josh Lobe says:

Yes, of course. Pretty much the same procedure applies. What will really help is finding a carrier who publicly displays (and supports) APN settings. I have also found there is a program for the computer which will allow you to set your APN settings if you do not have the tab under your “Cellular Data” menu on your iPhone. It is called the “Apple iPhone Configuration Utility”, and can be found here:
      http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/enterprise/ (Scroll to very bottom of page, and look for “iPhone Configuration Utility”.

Then, just gather the APN settings from your carrier and enter them into the configuration utility.

5. jinny says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I have the iphone 3gs with ios 4.1 and now every thing its working!! :)

6. Richard says:

Ooops! Sorry! I have an iphone 3g, it has been jailbroken, unlocked, recently programes it to net10, my problems r dat my mms wont work, web is to slow, da apn settings are n der, dont kno wut to do, please help on resolving my phone problems, wut can i do?

7. Richard says:

Ihave an i phone

8. TCB says:

Net10 apparently has gone off a cliff with regard to their functioning as a cel phone carrier. They limited the unlimited data to 1.5GB, they changed all their APN settings – no matter which ones I try now the data doesn’t work – and they are TRIPLE billing me! customer “service” is unable to fix any of these issues. In the process of following their instructions my iphone(s) jailbreak(s) are now damaged and have lost tetherme.
    Am seriously considering tossing 2 iphone 3gs 32gb units in the trash can as there are no inexpensive alternatives that actually work and the only other choice is the uber expensive ATT I give up – and am probably going to just get a flip phone. The US apparently does not want to build or maintain infrastructure for smartphone use for the masses at a reasonable price like EVERY other developed country. PISSED OFF.

• Josh Lobe says:

Hello TCB,

I hear ya, man. I’m sorry. I was surprised to see NET10 limit their monthly data allowance. This is true, and has been confirmed. I have turned quite a few people onto Net10. About 80% of the people said they received the email where the change would NOT affect them. I was one of these people. However, the other 20% received the email that it would probably affect them. So, it ultimately comes down to how “data-heavy” a user you are.

I’ve never had any issue getting ahold of custom service. Now, finding a resolution is often a different story ;)

Don’t throw them away!!! Send them to me, I’ll get them working for you, and send them back! Seriously, if you need help, use my contact form in my main navigation menu at the top of the page and send me a personal email.

Good luck!!

9. Amy says:

Hi, I recently bought an iphone 4 and I bought a net10 sim to set up a new acct with their service. I read through your instructions on how to get the phone ready, but Im not sure when to add my airtime?? I also need to know if i need to connect my iphone to itunes if its already been broken and unlocked, if so, then when do i connect it to itunes? Thanks in advance.

10. Christopher says:

Thank you very much this helped me out alot!

11. Tosha says:

I was wanting to know if I could use my net 10 SIM card in a sprint iPhone 4S? I know AT&T iPhones u can I have one but I want to upgrade to a iphone4s but afraid it won’t work. Plz help me thanks

• Josh Lobe says:

Hi Tosha,

Honestly, I’m not sure. I have seen the sim cards for Sprint in the activation kits for Net10.. so I’m sure it’s possible. But, you can’t use your AT&T sim card in a Sprint iPhone. It is because one uses the GSM network (AT&T) and the other uses the CDMA network (Spring). It is simply not possible to “switch” the two.

12. jeff says:

i have 6.1 on my 4s 32g and i just started service with net10 after using it on att and i have unlocked and jailbroken it and still have not been able to send mms or use my visual voicemail please help me

• Josh Lobe says:

Hello Jeff,

It’s because of your APN settings. I would go to (from your device) “http://unlockit.co.nz”. Then, create an APN profile using “Net10″ from the dropdown list. Install this profile to your phone.

Once you have selected the correct profile, reboot your device… and see if you now have mms.

13. harrison says:

am having problem with my iphone 3 i can dowload when i try the respone i get is, i should install ios 5 i need a way to dowload the ios 5, so i need help to enable me use my phone and i also need help in how to use my phone bluetooth

14. iris says:

Hey Josh

I hopecu can help me out i just added an airtime card to my net10 and went through successful
    and 5 min. Later recieved an error that said sim not provisioned #2 do u know what that is or how can i fix it! Called customer service and was on the phone for 7 hrs and were unable to helo omg! Ive had this # for 12 yrs i really need it..i hope u can help!

Thanks.

• Josh Lobe says:

Hello Iris,

What I would do is go to BestBuy and purchase a new Net10 sim activation kit (usually around $15 usd). Then, go on Net10’s website and create an account. Go ahead and register your original number and imei. Then, from their website, you want to do sim transfer. Basically, you are switching your sims.. but keeping the phone number.